BANK OF AMERICA CORP (BAC) SEC Filing 10-K Annual report for the fiscal year ending Saturday, December 31, 2016
The following information was filed by BANK OF AMERICA CORP on Friday, January 13, 2017 as an 8K 2.02 statement, which is a press release pertaining to results of operations and financial condition. It may be helpful to assess the quality of management by comparing the information in the press release to the information in the accompanying 10-K Annual Report statement of earnings and operation as management may choose to highlight particular information in the press release.
Sentiment Analysis off on
|Filter by Sentiment:||Filter by Category:||
Watch our Sentiment Analysis Video
|Filter by Subcategory:|
|Click a sentiment analysis snippet below from BAC's Management Discussions to find these positive and negative remarks within their 10-K Annual report:|
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_259_1971Financial - Expenseprimarily driven by improved operating efficiencies and lower fraud costs due to the benefit of the Europay, MasterCard and Visa EMV chip implementation, as well as lower personnel expense.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1792_2985Financial - Expenseprimarily due to lower litigation expense and technology initiative costs.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_560_476Revenue - ProductThese contingency plans include our Capital Contingency Plan, Contingency Funding Plan and Recovery Plan, which provide monitoring, escalation, actions and routines designed to enable us to increase capital, access funding sources and reduce risk through consideration of potential options that include asset sales, business sales, capital or debt issuances, or other de-risking strategies.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1676_1557Financial - Cash FlowA one-percent decrease in the expected cash flows could result in a $127 million impairment of the portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1676_1555Financial - Cash FlowHowever, subsequent decreases in the expected cash flows from the date of acquisition result in a charge to the provision for credit losses and a corresponding increase to the allowance for loan and lease losses.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_388_2073Revenue - Productdriven by growth in treasury-related revenue as well as higher net interest income driven by the beneficial impact of an increase in investable assets as a result of higher deposits.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_179_155Financial - EarningsIn addition, profitability, relationship and investment models use both return on average tangible common shareholders equity and return on average tangible shareholders equity as key measures to support our overall growth goals.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_323_259Financial - IncomeThe decline in noninterest income was driven by lower transactional revenue and decreased asset management fees primarily due to lower market valuations in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1840_1698Financial - ExpenseInterest expense includes the impact of interest rate risk management contracts, which decreased interest expense on the underlying liabilities by
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2093_1735Financial - ExpenseInterest expense includes the impact of interest rate risk management contracts, which decreased interest expense on the underlying liabilities by
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1794_1690Revenue - ProductRevenue, excluding net DVA, decreased due to lower trading account profits from declines in credit-related businesses, lower investment banking fees and lower equity investment gains as 2014 included gains related to the IPO of an equity investment, partially offset by an increase in net interest income.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_509_376Financial - ExpenseThe ongoing environment of additional regulation, increased regulatory compliance obligations, and enhanced regulatory enforcement, combined with ongoing uncertainty related to the continuing evolution of the regulatory environment, has resulted in increased operational and compliance costs and may limit our ability to continue providing certain products and services.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1773_2977Financial - Expenseprimarily due to a decrease of $15.2 billion in litigation expense which was primarily related to previously disclosed legacy mortgage-related matters and other litigation charges in 2014.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_905_826Financial - ExpenseAdditionally, net charge-offs declined driven by favorable portfolio trends and decreased write-downs on loans greater than 180 days past due, which were written down to the estimated fair value of the collateral, less costs to sell, due in part to improvement in home prices and the U.S. economy.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_39_44Other - OtherWith a stronger economy, rising inflation and continued labor market tightening, Federal Reserve members raised expectations that if economic growth continued, the pace of rate increases will pick up in 2017, although the removal of accommodation would remain gradual.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_562_481Other - OtherOn an annual basis, the Board reviews and approves the strategic plan, capital plan, financial operating plan and Risk Appetite Statement.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1795_2986Financial - Expenselargely due to lower litigation expense and, to a lesser extent, lower revenue-related incentive compensation and support costs.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_106_110Revenue - ProductThe increase consisted of $18.9 billion in net loan growth driven by strong client demand for commercial loans, partially offset by $9.2 billion in non-U.S. credit card loans that were reclassified from loans and leases to assets of business held for sale, which is included in all other assets in the table above.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_269_228Financial - IncomeTotal production income within mortgage banking income is comprised primarily of revenue from the fair value gains and losses recognized on our interest rate lock commitments IRLCs and loans held-for-sale LHFS, the related secondary market execution, and costs related to representations and warranties made in the sales transactions along with other obligations incurred in the sales of mortgage loans.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_77_77Financial - Expenseprimarily due to lower debit valuation adjustment DVA losses on structured liabilities, improved results from loans and the related hedging activities in the fair value option portfolio, and lower PPI expense, partially offset by lower gains on asset sales.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_518_2163Legal - OtherCompliance risk is the risk of legal or regulatory sanctions, material financial loss or damage to the reputation of the Corporation arising from the failure of the Corporation to comply with the requirements of applicable laws, rules, regulations and related self-regulatory organizations standards and codes of conduct.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1650_1491Legal - OtherCompliance risk is the risk of legal or regulatory sanctions, material financial loss or damage to the reputation of the Corporation arising from the failure of the Corporation to comply with the requirements of applicable laws, rules, regulations and related self-regulatory organizations standards and codes of conduct collectively, applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1745_2957Financial - Expensewas primarily driven by a decrease of $15.2 billion in litigation expense.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_764_724Other - OtherIn addition, under the terms of certain OTC derivative contracts and other trading agreements, in the event of downgrades of our or our rated subsidiaries credit ratings, the counterparties to those agreements may require us to provide additional collateral, or to terminate these contracts or agreements, which could cause us to sustain losses andor adversely impact our liquidity.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1679_2919Other - Otherrisk ratings for commercial loans and leases, except loans and leases already risk-rated Doubtful as defined by regulatory authorities, the allowance for loan and lease losses would have increased by $2.8 billion at
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_561_480Other - OtherOur strategic plan is consistent with our risk appetite, capital plan and liquidity requirements, and specifically addresses strategic risks.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_316_2017Other - Otherprovides comprehensive wealth management solutions targeted to high net worth and ultra high net worth clients, as well as customized solutions to meet clients wealth structuring, investment management, trust and banking needs, including specialty asset management services.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_723_652Other - OtherChanges in certain market factors, including, but not limited to, credit rating downgrades, could negatively impact potential contractual and contingent outflows and the related financial instruments, and in some cases these impacts could be material to our financial results.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1839_3028Financial - IncomeInterest income includes the impact of interest rate risk management contracts, which decreased interest income on the underlying assets by
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2091_3263Financial - IncomeInterest income includes the impact of interest rate risk management contracts, which decreased interest income on the underlying assets by
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1356_1183Revenue - GeographyStrengthening of the U.S. Dollar, weak commodity prices, signs of slowing growth in China, a protracted recession in Brazil and recent political events in Turkey are driving risk aversion in emerging markets.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1080_952Financial - Expense, $2.5 billion, or 40 percent of nonperforming consumer real estate loans and foreclosed properties had been written down to their estimated property value less costs to sell, including $2.2 billion of nonperforming loans 180 days or more past due and $363 million of foreclosed properties.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_696_613Legal - OtherWe hold our GLS in legal entities that allow us to meet the liquidity requirements of our global businesses, and we consider the impact of potential regulatory, tax, legal and other restrictions that could limit the transferability of funds among entities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_979_890Other - Otherdriven by favorable portfolio trends due in part to improvement in home prices and the U.S. economy.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_562_484Financial - EarningsThe regular executive reviews focus on assessing forecasted earnings and returns on capital, the current risk profile, current capital and liquidity requirements, staffing levels and changes required to support the strategic plan, stress testing results, and other qualitative factors such as market growth rates and peer analysis.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_678_582Financial - Shares / EquityThe first approach is a bank-based capital approach which requires that firms maintain Common equity tier 1 capital greater than or equal to the larger of 8.0 percent of the entitys RWA as calculated under Basel 3, or 8.0 percent of the margin of the entitys cleared and uncleared swaps, security-based swaps, futures and foreign futures positions.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1783_1672Other - Otherdriven by continued improvement in credit quality primarily related to our small business and credit card portfolios.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_447_325Financial - DebtALM activities encompass certain residential mortgages, debt securities, interest rate and foreign currency risk management activities, the impact of certain allocation methodologies and accounting hedge ineffectiveness
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_465_2126Other - Otherprimarily due to higher representations and warranties provision, partially offset by more favorable MSR results, net of the related hedge performance, which includes a net
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_755_708Financial - DebtCredit ratings and outlooks are opinions expressed by rating agencies on our creditworthiness and that of our obligations or securities, including long-term debt, short-term borrowings, preferred stock and other securities, including asset securitizations.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1794_1689Financial - Expenseprimarily driven by lower noninterest expense and lower tax expense, partially offset by lower revenue.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1768_2972Financial - Expense, primarily driven by a decrease of $15.2 billion in litigation expense as well as the following factors:
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1670_1544Other - OtherThe allowance for credit losses, which includes the allowance for loan and lease losses and the reserve for unfunded lending commitments, represents managements estimate of probable losses inherent in the Corporations loan portfolio excluding those loans accounted for under the fair value option.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_96_99Financial - DebtThe increase in assets was primarily due to higher debt securities driven by the deployment of deposit inflows, an increase in loans and leases driven by client demand for commercial loans, and higher securities borrowed or purchased under agreements to resell due to increased customer financing activity.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1388_1222Other - OtherOur consumer real estate loss forecast model estimates the portion of loans that will default based on individual loan attributes, the most significant of which are refreshed LTV or CLTV, and borrower credit score as well as vintage and geography, all of which are further broken down into
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_174_142Other - OtherThese non-GAAP financial measures are not intended as a substitute for GAAP financial measures and may not be defined or calculated the same way as non-GAAP financial measures used by other companies.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_581_541Other - OtherFully phased-in estimates are non-GAAP financial measures that the Corporation considers to be useful measures in evaluating compliance with new regulatory capital requirements that are not yet effective.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_784_2323Other - OtherImprovement in the U.S. unemployment rate and home prices continued during
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1787_1678Revenue - Productdriven by lower transactional revenue, partially offset by increased asset management fees due to the impact of long-term AUM flows and higher average market levels.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_221_1950Financial - Expensedriven by improved operating efficiencies and lower fraud costs, partially offset by higher FDIC expense.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1717_1613Financial - Shares / EquityThe inputs to this model include the risk-free rate of return, beta, which is a measure of the level of non-diversifiable risk associated with comparable companies for each specific reporting unit, market equity risk premium and in certain cases an unsystematic company-specific risk factor.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_528_404Other - OtherThe Board, and its committees when appropriate, oversees financial performance, execution of the strategic and financial operating plans, adherence to risk appetite limits and the adequacy of internal controls.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1137_985Other - Otherin the renegotiated TDR portfolio was primarily driven by paydowns and charge-offs as well as lower program enrollments.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1400_1252Financial - Shares / EquityReductions in the residential mortgage and home equity portfolios were due to improved home prices, lower nonperforming loans and a decrease in consumer loan balances, as well as write-offs in our PCI loan portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1704_1593Legal - OtherNet deferred tax assets, reported as a component of other assets on the Consolidated Balance Sheet, represent the net decrease in taxes expected to be paid in the future because of net operating loss NOL and tax credit carryforwards and because of future reversals of temporary differences in the bases of assets and liabilities as measured by tax laws and their bases as reported in the financial statements.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1225_2636Other - OtherNonperforming commercial real estate loans and foreclosed properties decreased $22 million, or 20 percent, to $86 million and reservable criticized balances
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1519_1326Other - OtherHedging instruments used to mitigate this risk include options, futures and swaps in the same or similar commodity product, as well as cash positions.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_35_36Other - OtherCore inflation which, unlike headline inflation, excludes certain items subject to frequent volatile price change such as food and energy also increased during
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_418_2094Financial - Expenseprimarily due to lower litigation expense and lower revenue-related expenses.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_176_145Financial - Incomederive the FTE basis, net interest income is adjusted to reflect tax-exempt income on an equivalent before-tax basis with a corresponding increase in income tax expense.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_90_90Financial - IncomeThe changes included reducing the U.K. corporate income tax rate by one percent to 17 percent, effective April 1, 2020.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_35_33Financial - EarningsMeanwhile, the labor market continued to tighten, and average hourly earnings increased at the fastest pace since 2008.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_15_1807Financial - Expenses business, financial condition and results of operations from a protracted period of lower oil prices or ongoing volatility with respect to oil prices the Corporations ability to achieve its expense targets or net
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1567_1403Revenue - ProductTotal trading-related revenue, excluding brokerage fees, and CVA, DVA and funding valuation adjustment FVA gains losses, represents the total amount earned from trading positions, including market-based net interest income, which are taken in a diverse range of financial instruments and markets.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1026_2489Other - Otherwas primarily driven by continued home price improvement and lower default estimates on second-lien loans.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_288_1992Revenue - Productdue to a decrease in production volume to be sold, resulting from a decision to retain certain residential mortgage loans in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1756_2965Financial - Shares / Equityand an $869 million decrease in equity investment income as 2014 included a gain on the sale of a portion of an equity investment and gains from an initial public offering IPO of an equity investment in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1330_1144Other - OtherCredit risk reflects the potential benefit from offsetting exposure to non-credit derivative products with the same counterparties that may be netted upon the occurrence of certain events, thereby reducing our overall exposure.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_562_482Other - OtherWith oversight by the Board, executive management directs the lines of business to execute our strategic plan consistent with our core operating principles and risk appetite.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_127_1877Financial - Earningsdriven by earnings and preferred stock issuances, partially offset by returns of capital to shareholders of $9.4 billion through common and preferred stock dividends and share repurchases, as well as a decrease in accumulated other comprehensive income OCI primarily due to an increase in unrealized losses on available-for-sale AFS debt securities as a result of higher interest rates.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1747_1650Financial - ExpenseThese declines were primarily driven by lower loan yields and consumer loan balances, as well as a charge of $612 million in 2015 related to the redemption of certain trust preferred securities, partially offset by lower funding costs, higher trading-related net interest income, lower rates paid on deposits and commercial loan growth.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_575_524Other - OtherEffective January 1, 2015, the PCA framework was also amended to reflect the requirements of Basel 3.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_304_2005Other - Otherdue to a higher demand in the market based on improving housing trends, as well as improved financial center engagement with customers and more competitive pricing.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_569_505Financial - Shares / Equityover four quarters beginning in the third quarter of 2016, ii to repurchase common stock to offset the dilution resulting from certain equity-based compensation awards, and iii to increase the quarterly common stock dividend from $0.05 per share to $0.075 per share.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_179_153Financial - Shares / EquityTangible equity represents an adjusted shareholders equity or common shareholders equity amount which has been reduced by goodwill and certain acquired intangible assets excluding MSRs, net of related deferred tax liabilities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_377_2065Financial - Expenseas investments in client-facing professionals in Commercial and Business Banking, higher severance costs and an increase in FDIC expense were largely offset by lower operating and support costs.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_420_2095Other - Otherprimarily driven by higher securities borrowed or purchased under agreements to resell due to increased customer financing activity as well as higher trading account assets due to client demand.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1019_923Other - OtherThe total unpaid principal balance of pay option loans with accumulated negative amortization was $303 million, including $16 million of negative amortization.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_504_373Other - OtherAdverse developments, with respect to one or more of the assumptions underlying the liability for representations and warranties and the corresponding estimated range of possible loss, such as investors or trustees successfully challenging or avoiding the application of the relevant statute of limitations, could result in significant increases to future provisions andor the estimated range of possible loss.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1798_1692Financial - Expensewith the improvement primarily driven by a $15.2 billion decrease in litigation expense, which is included in noninterest expense, as well as an $862 million increase in mortgage banking income, primarily due to lower representations and warranties provision.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1663_1528Other - OtherThe Corporation manages reputational risk through established policies and controls in its businesses and risk management processes to mitigate reputational risks in a timely manner and through proactive monitoring and identification of potential reputational risk events.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_675_572Other - OtherThe proposals include a standardized approach for credit risk, standardized approach for operational risk, revisions to the credit valuation adjustment CVA risk framework and constraints on the use of internal models.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_571_510Other - OtherThe common stock repurchases may be effected through open market purchases or privately negotiated transactions, including repurchase plans that satisfy the conditions of Rule 10b5-1 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1502_2827Other - Otherwas primarily attributable to increased coverage for the energy sector due to low oil prices which impacted the financial performance of energy clients.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1521_1330Other - OtherMarket liquidity risk represents the risk that the level of expected market activity changes dramatically and, in certain cases, may even cease.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1084_960Financial - ExpenseWe exclude these amounts from our nonperforming loans and foreclosed properties activity as we expect we will be reimbursed once the property is conveyed to the guarantor for principal and, up to certain limits, costs incurred during the foreclosure process and interest incurred during the holding period.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_729_2291Other - OtherWe fund our assets primarily with a mix of deposits and secured and unsecured liabilities through a centralized, globally coordinated funding approach diversified across products, programs, markets, currencies and investor groups.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1157_1018Other - Other, oil prices have stabilized, which contributed to a modest improvement in energy-related exposure by year end.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1040_936Other - Otherdue to improvements in delinquencies and bankruptcies as a result of an improved economic environment and the impact of higher credit quality originations.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1636_1470Financial - EarningsThese net losses are expected to be reclassified into earnings in the same period as the hedged cash flows affect earnings and will decrease income or increase expense on the respective hedged cash flows.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_346_2041Revenue - Product, driven by market valuation increases and positive net flows, partially offset by the impact of the sale of BofA Global Capital Managements AUM.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1573_1411Revenue - Product, positive trading-related revenue was recorded for 99 percent of the trading days, of which 84 percent were daily trading gains of over $25 million and the largest loss was $24 million.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1574_2862Revenue - Productwhere positive trading-related revenue was recorded for 98 percent of the trading days, of which 77 percent were daily trading gains of over $25 million and the largest loss was $22 million.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1391_1232Other - OtherFactors considered when assessing the internal risk rating include the value of the underlying collateral, if applicable, the industry in which the obligor operates, the obligors liquidity and other financial indicators, and other quantitative and qualitative factors relevant to the obligors credit risk.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1394_1242Revenue - ProductIn addition to these improvements, in the consumer portfolio, loan sales, returns to performing status, paydowns and charge-offs continued to outpace new nonaccrual loans.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1538_2835Other - Otherpresents year-end, average, high and low daily trading VaR for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1394_1241Other - OtherEvidencing the improvements in the U.S. economy and labor markets are growth in consumer spending, downward unemployment trends and increases in home prices.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1416_2748Other - Otherin the ratio was primarily due to improved
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_349_265Financial - IncomeNet interest income was up, primarily driven by growth in loan and deposit balances.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1657_1516Other - OtherIn addition to enterprise risk management tools such as loss reporting, scenario analysis and Risk and Control Self Assessments RCSAs, operational risk executives, working in conjunction with senior business executives, have developed key tools to help identify, measure, monitor and control risk in each business and control function.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_975_879Financial - Shares / EquityIn addition, $876 million, or 30 percent of nonperforming home equity loans, were 180 days or more past due and had been written down to the estimated fair value of the collateral, less costs to sell.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_975_878Other - OtherNonperforming loans that are contractually current primarily consist of collateral-dependent TDRs, including those that have been discharged in Chapter 7 bankruptcy, junior-lien loans where the underlying first-lien is 90 days or more past due, as well as loans that have not yet demonstrated a sustained period of payment performance following a TDR.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_90_91Financial - IncomeThis reduction favorably affects income tax expense on future U.K. earnings, but required a remeasurement of our U.K. net deferred tax assets using the lower tax rate.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2136_1756Other - OtherAUM reflects assets that are generally managed for institutional, high net worth and retail clients, and are distributed through various investment products including mutual funds, other commingled vehicles and separate accounts.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_750_697Other - OtherWe could be required to settle certain structured note obligations for cash or other securities prior to maturity under certain circumstances, which we consider for liquidity planning purposes.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1500_1273Other - OtherIn addition to the allowance for loan and lease losses, we also estimate probable losses related to unfunded lending commitments such as letters of credit, financial guarantees, unfunded bankers acceptances and binding loan commitments, excluding commitments accounted for under the fair value option.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_724_653Legal - OtherWe consider all sources of funds that we could access during each stress scenario and focus particularly on matching available sources with corresponding liquidity requirements by legal entity.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_436_318Other - OtherThis was partially offset by a weaker performance in commodities, as lower volatility dampened client activity.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_520_2165Financial - EarningsReputational risk is the risk that negative perceptions of the Corporations conduct or business practices may adversely impact its profitability or operations through an inability to establish new or maintain existing customerclient relationships or otherwise adversely impact relationships with key stakeholders, such as investors, regulators, employees and the community.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1662_1526Financial - EarningsReputational risk is the risk that negative perceptions of the Corporations conduct or business practices may adversely impact its profitability or operations through an inability to establish new or maintain existing customerclient relationships or otherwise impact relationships with key stakeholders, such as investors, regulators, employees and the community.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1521_1332Other - OtherThis impact could be further exacerbated if expected hedging or pricing correlations are compromised by disproportionate demand or lack of demand for certain instruments.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_548_441Other - OtherGlobal Risk Management is organized into enterprise risk teams, FLU risk teams and control function risk teams that work collaboratively in executing their respective duties.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_673_565Other - OtherThe rule will be effective January 1, 2019 and U.S. G-SIBs will be required to maintain a minimum external TLAC.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1697_1589Other - OtherThese transfers are considered to be effective as of the beginning of the quarter in which they occur.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_217_179Other - Otherprimarily due to the beneficial impact of an increase in investable assets as a result of higher deposits.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_230_196Other - Otherprimarily due to the beneficial impact of an increase in investable assets as a result of higher deposits.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_265_223Financial - Earningsbps primarily driven by the impact of gains in 2015 on certain divestitures and a decrease in net interest margin, partially offset by an improvement in credit quality in the U.S. Card portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_74_1842Financial - Shares / Equitydue to a stronger performance across credit products led by mortgages and continued strength in rates products, partially offset by reduced client activity in equities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_70_1838Revenue - Productprimarily due to higher treasury-related revenue.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_902_822Other - OtherThis decrease in net charge-offs was primarily driven by charge-offs related to the consumer relief portion of the settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice DoJ of $402 million in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1142_994Other - OtherIn addition, risk ratings are a factor in determining the level of allocated capital and the allowance for credit losses.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_436_317Other - Otheras rates products improved on increased customer flow, and mortgages recorded strong results.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_468_342Other - Otherprimarily driven by lower loan and lease balances from continued run-off of non-core consumer real estate loans.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1682_1561Other - OtherThese sensitivity analyses do not represent managements expectations of the deterioration in risk ratings or the increases in loss rates but are provided as hypothetical scenarios to assess the sensitivity of the allowance for loan and lease losses to changes in key inputs.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_569_506Other - OtherOn June 29, 2016, following the Federal Reserves non-objection to our 2016 CCAR capital plan, the Board authorized the common stock repurchase beginning July 1, 2016.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1664_1531Legal - OtherIn addition, each FLU has a committee, which includes representatives from Compliance, Legal and Risk, that is responsible for the oversight of reputational risk.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_712_632Other - OtherWe have established operational procedures to enable us to borrow against these assets, including regularly monitoring our total pool of eligible loans and securities collateral.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1511_1302Other - OtherThe EMRC oversees that model standards are consistent with model risk requirements and monitors the effective challenge in the model validation process across the Corporation.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1507_1290Revenue - GeographyThe majority of this risk is generated by our activities in the interest rate, foreign exchange, credit, equity and commodities markets.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1511_1300Other - OtherThe EMRC defines model risk standards, consistent with our risk framework and risk appetite, prevailing regulatory guidance and industry best practice.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1716_1609Financial - EarningsThe relative weight assigned to these multiples varies among the reporting units based on qualitative and quantitative characteristics, primarily the size and relative profitability of the reporting unit as compared to the comparable publicly-traded companies.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_757_711Financial - EarningsOn January 24, 2017, Moodys Investors Services, Inc. Moodys improved its ratings outlook on the Corporation and its subsidiaries, including BANA, to positive from stable, based on the agencys view that there is an increased likelihood that the Corporations profitability will strengthen on a sustainable basis over the next 12 to 18 months while the Corporation continues to adhere to its conservative risk profile, lowering its earnings volatility.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1504_1282Other - OtherIn the event of market stress, these risks could have a material impact on our results.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1653_1499Other - OtherThe Corporation defines operational risk as the risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems or from external events.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_519_2164Other - OtherOperational risk is the risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems, or from external events.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_774_739Other - OtherWe manage credit risk based on the risk profile of the borrower or counterparty, repayment sources, the nature of underlying collateral, and other support given current events, conditions and expectations.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1511_1301Other - OtherModels must meet certain validation criteria, including effective challenge of the model development process and a sufficient demonstration of developmental evidence incorporating a comparison of alternative theories and approaches.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1518_1323Other - OtherHedging instruments used to mitigate this risk include options, futures, swaps, convertible bonds and cash positions.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_756_2304Financial - ExpenseOther factors that influence our credit ratings include changes to the rating agencies methodologies for our industry or certain security types the rating agencies assessment of the general operating environment for financial services companies our relative positions in the markets in which we compete our various risk exposures and risk management policies and activities pending litigation and other contingencies or potential tail risks our reputation our liquidity position, diversity of funding sources and funding costs the current and expected level and volatility of our earnings our capital position and capital management practices our corporate governance the sovereign credit ratings of the U.S. government current or future regulatory and legislative initiatives and the agencies views on whether the U.S. government would provide meaningful support to the Corporation or its subsidiaries in a crisis.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_723_651Financial - DebtThe types of potential contractual and contingent cash outflows we consider in our scenarios may include, but are not limited to, upcoming contractual maturities of unsecured debt and reductions in new debt issuance diminished access to secured financing markets potential deposit withdrawals increased draws on loan commitments, liquidity facilities and letters of credit additional collateral that counterparties could call if our credit ratings were downgraded collateral and margin requirements arising from market value changes and potential liquidity required to maintain businesses and finance customer activities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_466_341Revenue - ProductGains on the sales of loans, including nonperforming and other delinquent loans were $232 million compared to gains of $1.0 billion in 2015.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1760_2967Other - Otherlower than net charge-offs for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1376_2726Other - Otherlower than net charge-offs for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1346_2708Other - OtherSecurities and other investments are carried at fair value and long securities exposures are netted against short exposures with the same underlying issuer to, but not below, zero i.e., negative issuer exposures are reported as
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1205_1042Other - Otherdriven by downgrades, primarily related to our energy exposure, outpacing paydowns and upgrades.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_771_734Financial - ExpenseFor derivative positions, our credit risk is measured as the net cost in the event the counterparties with contracts in which we are in a gain position fail to perform under the terms of those contracts.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_727_661Other - OtherEffective April 1, 2017, the final rule requires us to disclose publicly, on a quarterly basis, quantitative information about our LCR calculation and a discussion of the factors that have a significant effect on our LCR.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_109_112Other - Otherprimarily due to the impact of improvements in credit quality from a stronger economy.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_696_611Other - OtherOur cash is primarily on deposit with the Federal Reserve and, to a lesser extent, central banks outside of the U.S. We limit the composition of high-quality, liquid, unencumbered securities to U.S. government securities, U.S. agency securities, U.S. agency MBS and a select group of non-U.S. government and supranational securities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1338_1156Other - OtherWe define country risk as the risk of loss from unfavorable economic and political conditions, currency fluctuations, social instability and changes in government policies.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_234_198Other - Otherdriven by a continuing customer shift to more liquid products in the low rate environment.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_417_302Other - Otherprimarily due to a stronger performance globally across credit products led by mortgages and continued strength in rates products.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_981_2459Other - OtherOutstanding balances with refreshed combined loan-to-value CLTV greater than 100 percent comprised
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_178_151Other - OtherWe believe that the presentation of measures that exclude these items are useful because they provide additional information to assess the underlying operational performance and trends of our businesses and to allow better comparison of period-to-period operating performance.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_692_602Other - OtherThe Board approves our liquidity policy and the ERC approves the contingency funding plan, including establishing liquidity risk tolerance levels.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_537_413Legal - OtherThe Audit Committee oversees the qualifications, performance and independence of the Independent Registered Public Accounting Firm, the performance of our corporate audit function, the integrity of our consolidated financial statements, our compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, and makes inquiries of management or the Corporate General Auditor CGA to determine whether there are scope or resource limitations that impede the ability of Corporate Audit to execute its responsibilities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_516_2161Financial - EarningsMarket risk is the risk that changes in market conditions may adversely impact the value of assets or liabilities, or otherwise negatively impact earnings.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1503_1278Financial - EarningsMarket risk is the risk that changes in market conditions may adversely impact the value of assets or liabilities, or otherwise negatively impact earnings.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_119_119Other - Otherborrowings, notes payable and various other borrowings that generally have maturities of one year or less.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1709_1602Legal - OtherRisk Factors Regulatory, Compliance and Legal
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_181_160Financial - Shares / EquityThe tangible equity ratio represents adjusted ending shareholders equity divided by total assets less goodwill and certain acquired intangible assets excluding MSRs, net of related deferred tax liabilities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1676_1554Other - OtherApplicable accounting guidance prohibits carry-over or creation of valuation allowances in the initial accounting.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_349_264Financial - Incomedriven by a decline in noninterest income due to lower transactional revenue and asset management fees primarily related to lower market valuations, partially offset by the impact of long-term AUM flows.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1420_2750Other - Otherpresents a rollforward of the allowance for credit losses, which includes the allowance for loan and lease losses and the reserve for unfunded lending commitments, for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_767_2310Other - OtherFor information on the additional collateral and termination payments that could be required in connection with certain OTC derivative contracts and other trading agreements as a result of such a credit rating downgrade, see
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1761_1659Financial - ExpenseExcluding these additional costs, the provision for credit losses in the consumer portfolio increased $1.1 billion compared to
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_571_511Other - OtherAs a well-capitalized BHC, we may notify the Federal Reserve of our intention to make additional capital distributions not to exceed one percent of Tier 1 capital 0.25 percent of Tier 1 capital beginning April 1, 2017, and which were not contemplated in our capital plan, subject to the Federal Reserves non-objection.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1675_1551Financial - Cash FlowFor each one-percent increase in the loss rates on loans collectively evaluated for impairment in our Consumer Real Estate portfolio segment, excluding PCI loans, coupled with a one-percent decrease in the discounted cash flows on those loans individually evaluated for impairment within this portfolio segment, the allowance for loan and lease losses at
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1597_1454Revenue - GeographyIn addition, we use foreign exchange contracts, including cross-currency interest rate swaps, foreign currency futures contracts, foreign currency forward contracts and options to mitigate the foreign exchange risk associated with foreign currency-denominated assets and liabilities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_240_201Other - Otherdriven by client flows and strong market performance.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_994_908Financial - Shares / EquityIn the New York area, the New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island MSA made up 13 percent of the outstanding home equity portfolio at both
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_997_912Financial - Shares / EquityThe Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana MSA within California made up 11 percent and 12 percent of the outstanding home equity portfolio in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_730_667Financial - ExpenseThe primary benefits of our centralized funding approach include greater control, reduced funding costs, wider name recognition by investors and greater flexibility to meet the variable funding requirements of subsidiaries.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1224_2635Revenue - ProductWe use a number of proactive risk mitigation initiatives to reduce adversely rated exposure in the commercial real estate portfolio, including transfers of deteriorating exposures to management by independent special asset officers and the pursuit of loan restructurings or asset sales to achieve the best results for our customers and the Corporation.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_534_408Other - OtherThe Board authorizes management to maintain an effective Risk Framework, and oversees compliance with safe and sound banking practices.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2125_3293Financial - IncomeReconciliation of income tax expense to income tax expense on a fully taxable-equivalent basis
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2111_3280Financial - IncomeReconciliation of income tax expense benefit to income tax expense benefit on a fully taxable-equivalent basis
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_598_547Other - OtherBasel 3 fully phased-in Advanced approaches estimates assume approval by U.S. banking regulators of our internal analytical models, including approval of the internal models methodology IMM.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_663_558Other - OtherBasel 3 fully phased-in Advanced approaches estimates assume approval by U.S. banking regulators of our internal analytical models, including approval of the IMM.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1253_1083Other - Otherprimarily driven by portfolio improvement.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_220_181Other - Otherprimarily driven by a slower pace of improvement in the credit card portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_258_221Other - Otherprimarily driven by a slower pace of improvement in the credit card portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1771_2975Financial - Expensedue to lower default-related servicing expenses and legal fees.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_563_490Other - OtherWith oversight by the Board, executive management assesses the risk-adjusted returns of each business in approving strategic and financial operating plans.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_437_320Revenue - Geographyprimarily driven by lower levels of client activity, primarily in Asia, which benefited in 2015 from increased market volumes relating to stock markets rallies in the region, as well as weaker trading performance in derivatives.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_739_682Financial - DebtWe issue long-term unsecured debt in a variety of maturities and currencies to achieve cost-efficient funding and to maintain an appropriate maturity profile.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_302_2003Other - Otherdriven by improving housing trends and a lower rate environment.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1780_1667Financial - IncomeNet interest income decreased
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1785_1675Financial - IncomeNet interest income decreased
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_175_143Financial - IncomeWe view net interest income and related ratios and analyses on an fully taxable-equivalent FTE basis, which when presented on a consolidated basis, are non-GAAP financial measures.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1531_1369Other - Othersenior leadership communicates daily to discuss losses, key risk positions and any limit excesses.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1729_1635Other - OtherChanges to any one of these factors could significantly impact the estimate of our liability.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1676_1558Financial - Cash FlowFor each one-percent increase in the loss rates on loans collectively evaluated for impairment within our Credit Card and Other Consumer portfolio segment and U.S. small business commercial card portfolio, coupled with a one-percent decrease in the expected cash flows on those loans individually evaluated for impairment within the Credit Card and Other Consumer portfolio segment and the U.S. small business commercial card portfolio, the allowance for loan and lease losses at
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_764_723Financial - ExpenseA reduction in certain of our credit ratings or the ratings of certain asset-backed securitizations may have a material adverse effect on our liquidity, potential loss of access to credit markets, the related cost of funds, our businesses and on certain trading revenues, particularly in those businesses where counterparty creditworthiness is critical.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1640_1475Other - OtherWe recorded net after-tax losses on derivatives in accumulated OCI associated with net investment hedges which were offset by gains on our net investments in consolidated non-U.S. entities at
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_788_2326Other - Otheras a result of improved delinquency trends.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_183_161Financial - Shares / EquityWe believe that the use of ratios that utilize tangible equity provides additional useful information because they present measures of those assets that can generate income.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_696_609Other - OtherWe maintain liquidity available to the Corporation, including the parent company and selected subsidiaries, in the form of cash and high-quality, liquid, unencumbered securities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_755_710Other - OtherThe rating agencies could make adjustments to our ratings at any time, and they provide no assurances that they will maintain our ratings at current levels.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1298_2680Other - Otherto $925 million primarily due to an increase in reserves for the higher risk sub-sectors.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_578_538Other - OtherEffective January 1, 2018, the Corporation will be required to maintain a minimum SLR of 3.0 percent, plus a leverage buffer of 2.0 percent in order to avoid certain restrictions on capital distributions and discretionary bonus payments.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_422_2097Financial - Earnings, reflecting an increase in net income, partially offset by an increase in allocated capital.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_735_675Other - OtherOur lending activities may also be financed through secured borrowings, including credit card securitizations and securitizations with GSEs, the FHA and private-label investors, as well as FHLB loans.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_223_183Financial - Earningspercent, reflecting higher net income.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_524_390Other - OtherManagement reviews and approves the strategic and financial operating plans, as well as the capital plan and Risk Appetite Statement, and recommends them annually to the Board for approval.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_524_389Other - OtherExecutive management assesses, with Board oversight, the risk-adjusted returns of each business.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_242_1962Financial - Expensedriven by changes in customer preferences to self-service options as we continue to optimize our consumer banking network and improve our cost-to-serve.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_18_1810Legal - Others assets and liabilities uncertainty regarding the content, timing and impact of regulatory capital and liquidity requirements, including the potential impact of total loss-absorbing capacity requirements potential adverse changes to our global systemically important bank G-SIB surcharge the potential for payment protection insurance exposure to increase as a result of Financial Conduct Authority actions the impact of Federal Reserve actions on the Corporations capital plans the possible impact of the Corporations failure to remediate shortcomings identified by banking regulators in the Corporations Resolution Plan the impact of implementation and compliance with U.S. and international laws, regulations and regulatory interpretations, including, but not limited to, recovery and resolution planning requirements, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation FDIC assessments, the Volcker Rule, fiduciary standards and derivatives regulations a failure in or breach of the Corporations operational or security systems or infrastructure, or those of third parties, including as a result of cyberattacks the impact on the Corporations business, financial condition and results of operations from the potential exit of the United Kingdom U.K. from the European Union EU and other similar matters.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2118_1743Other - OtherWe believe the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides additional clarity in assessing the results of the Corporation.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2132_1747Other - OtherWe believe the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides additional clarity in assessing the results of the Corporation.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1396_1245Other - OtherWhile we experienced some deterioration in the energy sector in 2016, oil prices have stabilized which contributed to a modest improvement in energy-related exposure by year end.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1383_1209Other - OtherWhile we experienced some deterioration in the energy sector in 2016, oil prices have stabilized which contributed to a modest improvement in energy-related exposure by year end.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1802_2992Other - OtherTable IV Outstanding Loans and Leases
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1526_1353Other - OtherIn particular, the historical data used for the VaR calculation might indicate higher or lower levels of portfolio diversification than will be experienced.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_757_712Revenue - GeographyThe agency concurrently affirmed the current ratings of the Corporation and its subsidiaries, which have not changed since the conclusion of the agencys previous review of several global investment banking groups, including Bank of America, on May 28, 2015.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_128_128Financial - Cash FlowOur financing activities reflect cash flows primarily related to customer deposits, securities financing agreements and long-term debt.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1342_1165Revenue - GeographyOn a product basis, the increase was driven by an increase in funded loans and loan equivalents in Germany and Canada, higher unfunded commitments in Germany and Switzerland, and an increase in securities in France and Canada.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1653_1502Legal - OtherOperational risk includes legal risk.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1284_1104Other - OtherIncreases in commercial committed exposure were concentrated in healthcare equipment and services, telecommunication services, capital goods and consumer services, partially offset by lower exposure to technology hardware and equipment, banking, and food, beverage and tobacco.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1776_1665Other - OtherThe effective tax rate for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1778_2981Other - OtherThe effective tax rate for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_85_1849Other - OtherThe effective tax rate for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_88_88Other - OtherThe effective tax rate for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_783_747Other - OtherThese models are a component of our consumer credit risk management process and are used in part to assist in making both new and ongoing credit decisions, as well as portfolio management strategies, including authorizations and line management, collection practices and strategies, and determination of the allowance for loan and lease losses and allocated capital for credit risk.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1385_1212Other - OtherThe second component covers loans and leases on which there are incurred losses that are not yet individually identifiable, as well as incurred losses that may not be represented in the loss forecast models.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1808_2998Other - OtherTable X Non-exchange Traded Commodity
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1809_2999Other - OtherTable XI Non-exchange Traded Commodity
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_534_409Other - OtherIn addition, the Board or its committees conduct inquiries of, and receive reports from management on risk-related matters to assess scope or resource limitations that could impede the ability of independent risk management IRM andor Corporate Audit to execute its responsibilities.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_198_1931Other - OtherNote 8 Goodwill and Intangible Assets
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1710_2937Other - OtherThe nature of and accounting for goodwill and intangible assets are discussed in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1712_2939Other - OtherNote 8 Goodwill and Intangible Assets
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1440_2770Revenue - ProductRepresents allowance related to the non-U.S. credit card loan portfolio, which is included in assets of business held for sale on the Consolidated Balance Sheet at December 31, 2016.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_493_2145Legal - Otherof unresolved repurchase claims, predominately related to subprime and pay option first-lien loans and home equity loans, compared to
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1565_1400Legal - OtherAdditionally, we conduct daily backtesting on the VaR results used for regulatory capital calculations as well as the VaR results for key legal entities, regions and risk factors.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_676_579Other - OtherUnder the proposal, U.S. BHCs must calculate SCCL by dividing the net aggregate credit exposure to a given counterparty by a banks eligible Tier 1 capital base, ensuring that exposure to G-SIBs and other nonbank systemically important financial institutions does not breach 15 percent and exposures to other counterparties do not breach 25 percent.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1111_967Other - OtherOur policy is to record any losses in the value of foreclosed properties as a reduction in the allowance for loan and lease losses during the first 90 days after transfer of a loan to foreclosed properties.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1391_1229Other - OtherThe statistical models for commercial loans are generally updated annually and utilize our historical database of actual defaults and other data, including external default data.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1744_1646Financial - EarningsThe increase in net income for
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1393_1234Other - OtherAlso included within the second component of the allowance for loan and lease losses are reserves to cover losses that are incurred but, in our assessment, may not be adequately represented in the historical loss data used in the loss forecast models.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_350_2044Financial - Incomeprimarily driven by higher net interest income due to higher loan and deposit balances.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_48_63Revenue - ProductAt December 31, 2016, the assets of this business, which are presented in assets of business held for sale on the Consolidated Balance Sheet, included non-U.S. credit card loans of $9.2 billion.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_424_312Other - OtherWe believe the use of this non-GAAP financial measure provides additional useful information to assess the underlying performance of these businesses and to allow better comparison of period-to-period operating performance.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1332_2704Other - OtherWe record counterparty credit risk valuation adjustments on certain derivative assets, including our credit default protection purchased, in order to properly reflect the credit risk of the counterparty, as presented in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_758_713Revenue - GeographyOn December 16, 2016, Standard & Poors Global Ratings S&P concluded its CreditWatch with positive implications for operating subsidiaries of four U.S. G-SIBs, including Bank of America.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1673_1549Other - OtherThe degree to which any particular assumption affects the allowance for credit losses depends on the severity of the change and its relationship to the other assumptions.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_849_779Other - Otherpresents outstandings, nonperforming balances, net charge-offs, allowance for loan and lease losses and provision for loan and lease losses for the core and non-core portfolio within the consumer real estate portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_783_745Other - OtherStatistical techniques in conjunction with experiential judgment are used in all aspects of portfolio management including underwriting, product pricing, risk appetite, setting credit limits, and establishing operating processes and metrics to quantify and balance risks and returns.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_622_2216Other - OtherDefined benefit pension fund assets
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_638_2231Other - OtherDefined benefit pension fund assets phased in during transition
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_645_2238Other - OtherDefined benefit pension fund assets phased out during transition
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1813_3003Other - OtherTable XV Five-year Reconciliations to GAAP Financial Measures
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1814_3004Other - OtherTable XVI Quarterly Reconciliations to GAAP Financial Measures
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_234_199Other - OtherGrowth in checking, traditional savings and money market savings of $53.8 billion was partially offset by a decline in time deposits of $6.1 billion.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2032_3208Other - Other, and for corresponding reconciliations to GAAP financial measures, see Statistical Table XVI.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2132_1748Other - OtherOther companies may define or calculate these measures differently.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2118_1744Other - OtherOther companies may define or calculate these measures differently.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2103_3272Other - Otherand for corresponding reconciliations to GAAP financial measures, see Statistical Table XVI.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_581_542Other - OtherFor reconciliations to GAAP financial measures, see Table
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_735_673Financial - ExpenseWe consider a substantial portion of our deposits to be a stable, low-cost and consistent source of funding.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_143_1891Other - Other, and for corresponding reconciliations to GAAP financial measures, see Statistical Table XV on page
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1050_940Other - Otherprimarily driven by weakening of the British Pound against the U.S. Dollar.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1658_1521Revenue - GeographyThe end-to-end RCSA process incorporates risk identification and assessment of the control environment monitoring, reporting and escalating risk quality assurance and data validation and integration with the risk appetite.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1956_3135Other - OtherAllowance for loan and lease losses as a percentage of total nonperforming loans and leases, excluding the allowance for loan and lease losses for loans and leases that are excluded from nonperforming loans and leases at December 31
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_2053_3226Other - OtherAllowance for loan and lease losses as a percentage of total nonperforming loans and leases, excluding the allowance for loan and lease losses for loans and leases that are excluded from nonperforming loans and leases
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1453_2783Other - OtherAllowance for loan and lease losses as a percentage of total nonperforming loans and leases, excluding the allowance for loan and lease losses for loans and leases that are excluded from nonperforming loans and leases at December 31
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_163_1908Other - OtherAllowance for loan and lease losses as a percentage of total nonperforming loans and leases, excluding the allowance for loan and lease losses for loans and leases that are excluded from nonperforming loans and leases
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1297_1119Other - OtherThe energy allowance for credit losses increased $382 million in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_699_622Other - OtherOur GLS are substantially the same in composition to what qualifies as High Quality Liquid Assets HQLA under the final U.S.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1132_979Other - OtherModifications of credit card and other consumer loans are made through renegotiation programs utilizing direct customer contact, but may also utilize external renegotiation programs.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1525_1351Other - OtherThis analysis identifies reasonable alternatives that replicate both the expected volatility and correlation to other market risk factors that the missing data would be expected to experience.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1669_1542Other - OtherSuch credit and market conditions may change quickly and in unforeseen ways and the resulting volatility could have a significant, negative effect on future operating results.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_387_2072Other - Otherdriven by the impact of growth in loans and leases, as well as the impact from loans and the related loan hedging activities in the fair value option portfolio.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1398_1248Other - OtherAdditions to, or reductions of, the allowance for loan and lease losses generally are recorded through charges or credits to the provision for credit losses.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1793_1688Financial - EarningsExcluding net DVA, net income increased $170 million to $2.9 billion in
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_752_699Other - OtherWe maintain contingency funding plans that outline our potential responses to liquidity stress events at various levels of severity.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_216_177Financial - Expenseprimarily driven by lower noninterest expense and higher revenue, partially offset by higher provision for credit losses.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_754_705Financial - ExpenseOur borrowing costs and ability to raise funds are impacted by our credit ratings.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_492_363Other - OtherBreaches of these representations and warranties have resulted in and may continue to result in the requirement to repurchase mortgage loans or to otherwise make whole or provide other remedies to investors, securitization trusts, guarantors, insurers or other parties collectively, repurchases.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_993_2465Other - Other, approximately 34 percent of these customers with an outstanding balance did not pay any principal on their HELOCs.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1528_1362Other - OtherTrading limits are set at both a granular level to allow for extensive coverage of risks as well as at aggregated portfolios to account for correlations among risk factors.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_372_276Other - Otherdriven by the impact of growth in loans and leases and higher deposits.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_976_882Financial - Shares / EquityFor outstanding balances in the home equity portfolio on which we service the first-lien loan, we are able to track whether the first-lien loan is in default.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_497_2147Financial - ExpenseThe liability for representations and warranties and corporate guarantees is included in accrued expenses and other liabilities on the Consolidated Balance Sheet and the related provision is included in mortgage banking income in the Consolidated
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_75_1843Financial - Incomeprimarily driven by a decline in production income, higher representations and warranties provision and lower servicing income, partially offset by more favorable mortgage servicing rights MSR results, net of the related hedge performance.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1393_1238Other - OtherIn addition, we consider the increased risk of default associated with our interest-only loans that have yet to enter the amortization period.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_562_483Other - OtherThe executive management team monitors business performance throughout the year and provides the Board with regular progress reports on whether strategic objectives and timelines are being met, including reports on strategic risks and if additional or alternative actions need to be considered or implemented.
- bac_10k_2017-02-23_1513_1307Revenue - GeographyForeign exchange risk represents exposures to changes in the values of current holdings and future cash flows denominated in currencies other than the U.S. Dollar.
Please wait while we load the requested 10-K Annual report. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xk.htm
Companies may provide additional information to their SEC Filings as exhibits. Click a link below to view an exhibit that was filed with this report:
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex4a.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex4i.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex10rr.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex12.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex21.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex23.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex24.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex31a.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex31b.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex32a.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/70858/000007085817000013/bac-1231201610xkex32b.htm
- Form Type: Annual
- Number of times amended: 0
- Accession Number: 0000070858-17-000013
- Submitted to the SEC: Thursday, February 23, 2017
- Accepted by the SEC: Thursday, February 23, 2017
- Period Ending: December 2016
Positive and negative sentiment analysis is available in these filings:
BANK OF AMERICA CORP
$26.90 to $27.18
$16.28 to $27.18
Earnings per Share:
PEG / Short / PE Ratios:
1.30 / 1.38 / 15.55