PERRY ELLIS INTERNATIONAL, INC (PERY) SEC Filing 10-Q Quarterly report for the period ending Saturday, May 5, 2018
Perry Ellis International Reports First Quarter Fiscal Year 2019 Results
First Quarter Revenues Rise 5%
First Quarter Adjusted Diluted EPS of $0.78
First Quarter GAAP Diluted EPS of $0.66
MIAMI, May 31, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) Perry Ellis International, Inc. (Nasdaq: PERY) today reported results for the first quarter (first quarter of fiscal 2019) ended May 5, 2018.
Key First Quarter Financial Accomplishments:
|||Total revenues rose 5.4% to $255 million from $242 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2018. Revenues were fueled by growth in Golf and Nike Swim and a high-single digit increase in the Direct-to-Consumer channel sales.|
|||GAAP pre-tax income was $13.1 million compared to $14.5 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2018, and adjusted pre-tax income rose 7.6% to $15.6 million from $14.5 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2018.|
|||Adjusted net income per share, diluted, of $0.78. GAAP net income per share, diluted of $0.66.|
|||Debt-to-Capitalization stood at 18.9% at the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2019, compared to 24.3% at the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2018.|
|||A strong balance sheet at quarter end with cash and investments totaling $55.4 million, which provides the Company with liquidity to facilitate the $50 million bond redemption that took place on May 29th, 2018.|
|||Strong inventory position at $151 million, substantially down from fiscal 2018 year end, but up slightly from the first quarter of fiscal 2018, fueling our spring shipping.|
Oscar Feldenkreis, Chief Executive Officer and President, commented, We are very pleased with our start to fiscal 2019, which continued our momentum from last year. During the quarter, our innovative products and high impact marketing led to stronger than expected shipments, especially in Nike Swim and across our golf brands. We ended the quarter with a strong balance sheet, which enabled us to retire $50 million of outstanding notes. We remain optimistic about our business prospects as we enter the second quarter, and we conservatively plan to hold the full year guidance.
Fiscal 2019 First Quarter Results
Total revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2019 was $255 million, a 5.4% increase (4.5% increase on constant currency) compared to $242 million reported in the first quarter of fiscal 2018. This reflected increases in the Companys core brands and in particular Golf and Nike Swim, along with a double digit increase in comparable store sales in the Direct-to-Consumer channel. The increase in revenue includes a $1.5 million increase due to the adoption of the new revenue recognition standard, which requires advertising reimbursements to be classified as revenue instead of as a reduction of the related advertising costs as was the case in fiscal 2018. This growth was offset by declines in the womens business.
GAAP gross margin was 36.8% in the first quarter of fiscal 2019, compared to 37.6% in the first quarter of fiscal 2018, driven by changes in product mix and the change in the accounting standard for revenue recognition which shifts licensing revenues to the fourth quarter rather than spreading revenues evenly throughout the year. Adjusted gross margin was 36.8% compared with adjusted gross margin of 37.6% in the first quarter of fiscal 2018. (Adjusted gross margin excludes certain items as outlined in Table 2 Reconciliation of Gross Profit to Adjusted Gross Profit and Adjusted Gross Margin.)
The following information was filed by PERRY ELLIS INTERNATIONAL, INC on Thursday, May 31, 2018 as an 8K 2.02 statement, which is an earnings press release pertaining to results of operations and financial condition. It may be helpful to assess the quality of management by comparing the information in the press release to the information in the accompanying 10-Q Quarterly Report statement of earnings and operation as management may choose to highlight particular information in the press release.
Sentiment Analysis off on
|Filter by Sentiment:||Filter by Category:||
View our Sentiment Analysis Tour
|Filter by Subcategory:|
|Click a sentiment analysis snippet below from PERRY ELLIS INTERNATIONAL, INC's Management Discussions to find these positive and negative remarks within their 10-Q Quarterly report:|
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_18_21Financial - EarningsThe EBITDA margin was unfavorably impacted by the decrease in net sales described above.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_17_18MA - OtherAdditionally, we incurred $1.3 million, during the first quarter of fiscal 2019, in connection with our Boards exploration and evaluation of potential strategic alternatives and the related February 6, 2018 proposal by Mr. Feldenkreis to acquire all of our outstanding common shares not already beneficially owned by Mr. Feldenkreis.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_28_41Financial - Shares / EquityThe net cash provided during the first three months of fiscal 2019 primarily reflects net borrowings on our senior credit facility of $51.3 million and proceeds from the exercise of stock options of $0.1 million partially offset by payments for employee taxes on shares withheld of $0.3 million and $0.2 million in payments on our mortgage loans.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_18_20Financial - EarningsWomens Sportswear EBITDA margin for the three months ended May 5, 2018 decreased 870 basis points to 9.3%, from 0.6% for the three months ended April 29, 2017.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_33_49Other - OtherAt May 5, 2018, we had outstanding borrowings of $62.4 million under the Credit Facility.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_33_50Other - OtherAt February 3, 2018, we had outstanding borrowings of $11.2 million under the Credit Facility.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_19_22Financial - EarningsLicensing EBITDA margin for the three months ended May 5, 2018 decreased to 65.8%, from 73.0% for the three months ended April 29, 2017.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_21_29Financial - Cash FlowWe believe that our cash flows from operations and availability under our senior credit facility and remaining letter of credit facility are sufficient to meet our working capital needs and capital expenditure needs over the next year including the redemption of our senior subordinated notes on May 29, 2018.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_38_80Other - OtherAdditionally, we used the excess funds generated from the new mortgage loans described above to pay down our senior credit facility.
- pery_10q_2018-06-13_32_78Other - OtherOn May 29, 2018, we completed the redemption of the remaining $50 million of our outstanding 7
Please wait while we load the requested 10-Q Quarterly Report. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/900349/000119312518191372/d598580d10q.htm
Companies may provide additional information to their SEC Filings as exhibits. Click a link below to view an exhibit that was filed with this report:
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/900349/000119312518191372/d598580dex106.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/900349/000119312518191372/d598580dex311.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/900349/000119312518191372/d598580dex312.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/900349/000119312518191372/d598580dex321.htm
Please wait while we load the requested exhibit. If it does not load, please click the link below:https://www.last10k.com/sec-filings/report/900349/000119312518191372/d598580dex322.htm
- Form Type: Quarterly
- Number of times amended: 0
- Accession Number: 0001193125-18-191372
- Submitted to the SEC: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:01:46 PM EST
- Accepted by the SEC: Wednesday, June 13, 2018
- Period ending: May 2018
- Industry: Mens And Boys Furnishgs Work Clothg And Allied Garments
Positive and negative sentiment analysis is available in these filings:
PERRY ELLIS INTERNATIONAL, INC
Intrinsic Value, Financial Stability and Ratios